Wednesday, April 28, 2010



Credit where credit is due

In the past I've been highly critical of politicians who prefer to "keep their powder dry" and keep their policies and positions secret until election time to prevent scrutiny and criticism. This is a dishonest strategy, which puts power before principle and treats the electorate like children. As a voter, I want to know what the political choices are. Hiding your policies is a deliberate attempt to thwart my decision-making.

Still, I have to give credit where credit is due. In the past week, Labour has made solid commitments in some rather contentious policy areas. These include:

I like these policies, but more importantly I like the fact that labour is putting them out there, and having the argument with the electorate over what should be done. Its treating us like adults, enabling us to make a political choice. And in a democracy, that is a Good Thing.