Monday, March 24, 2003



Why am I so pessimistic?

Because that way, the worst that can happen is that I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Seriously, I'd be genuinely pleased if even half of what the Americans have promised over Iraq came to pass. If they rebuilt it into a democracy with equal rights for Sunnis, Shi'ites and Kurds, it would be a genuinely Good Thing. But sadly, I don't think the American people have the attention span for a decades-long project like that. And looking at the number of times the American leadership has sold out its purported ideals for realpolitik, and backed tyrants and terrorists like Saddam and bin Laden (or that prick in Uzbekistan), I expect even less of them. Especially with Bush in charge...

So, all you random Americans who are wandering along and reading this, please... surprise me.

0 comments: